Saturday 12 March 2016

Prospect Union: NEC Elections 2016

Prospect: Union for professionals

The election for the National Executive Committee of Prospect has just opened and my ballot paper arrived this morning in the post. There are 27 candidates for 23 positions, so it's time for me to cast my vote. Unlike my previous union which was factional beyond belief there appear to be no such problems here. Prospect is after all a more stable and rational organisation.

In order to vote it is actually necessary to read through the candidates statements, most of whom seem pretty reasonable individuals and only one is known to me, Davey Hunter (Scottish Government) a fellow "refugee" from PCS. I've known and worked with him for years so he's got my vote.

As for the others?

Unlike in previous years I am not going to list "recommendations" as is the practice in not just PCS, but a host of other unions where slates, particularly those of the far left vie for control. In many unions this has led to disaster so it's a refreshing change to have to consider candidates on their individual merits.

Strong, rational and representative unions are absolutely necessary, especially under the current government which is hostile to working peoples rights. The line has to be held.

So the only recommendation I will make (other than for Davey Hunter) is that all members do use their vote.

If you haven't joined up yet, there is an alternative:

Join Prospect today: www.prospect.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment