Saturday 3 June 2017

Unite Election: Gerard Coyne makes an appeal

Gerard Coyne

It’s not over yet...

I know that I have been quiet since the election result, I have been busy compiling a legal challenge against the conduct of the Unite the Union, General Secretary Election.

Today I have submitted my legal challenge to the Certification Officer.

I believe the election conducted breached the Union’s rules, the requirements of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 (“the 1992 Act”) and was conducted in a manner which breached the principles of article 3 of Protocol 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

I am challenging the election on the grounds that the procedures of the union and the actions of a series of employees of the Union have been manipulated by Mr McCluskey (and by employees of the Union who were committed to seeing Mr McCluskey re-elected as General Secretary) and so the electoral process was subverted to the aim of securing a re-election of Mr McCluskey as the incumbent General Secretary.

I vowed during my campaign to bring back democracy to Unite - and I am not finished. It will take some time before we learn if my complaint is upheld but I am confident that based on the evidence that many of you have helped me to gather over the course of the campaign that we will be successful.

I ask for your continued support because if I succeed in this challenge I will be running as a candidate again in the future. If you have evidence of foul play then get in touch.

How you can help me:

I know many hundreds of people have contacted me throughout the campaign because they did not receive a ballot paper - and I am sure there will be many more.

Email me if you:

- Did not receive an invite to your branch meeting which then subsequently nominated Mr McCluskey - but you get other communications from the Union and have done from your branch.

- Was at a nominating branch meeting where Unite officials were in attendance or spoke to members prior to the meeting commencing.

- Did not receive a ballot paper from the Union and you did not email my campaign team to let us know.

- Were contacted via email or text message from Mr McCluskey claiming that your branch nominated him when in fact your branch nominated me.

- Received an illegal Robo-call [an automated voice message] from Mr McCluskey urging you to vote for him.

- Have evidence of Unite officials campaigning between the hours of 9-5 during the week on social media or in person or at official union events.

Contact me if any of the above is true or if you have other information about activity which subverted the democracy of the union.

It will help me if you can provide, copies of correspondence, screenshots or photographs and video evidence of any of the above.

Email me at: info@votegerardcoyne.co.uk

Yours Sincerely,

Gerard Coyne

No comments:

Post a Comment